Adopting a Pet from STAR
- If you see an animal of interest on our STAR website or through a pet search website like Petfinder or Adopt A Pet, contact the STAR representative at the email address (or phone number if provided) listed in the ad.
- The STAR rep will arrange private appointments to meet with you or will direct you to the next pet fair they will be holding. Our animals live with the foster family. We do not have a shelter or storefront for drop-in visiting hours so meeting places vary.
- At the appointment there will be an informal interview to determine compatibility. If pet and home are right for each other, you may go home with your new family member that day.
- There is an adoption contract and a fee (which varies by animal).
- Payment - STAR is a 501c(3) nonprofit corporation. Adoption fees, grants, and donations benefit our rescue animals. At this time we can accept cash, personal checks, credit cards, and PayPal.
- The adoption fee includes the following:
Spay/neuter, age-appropriate vaccinations, lifetime microchip, and a STAR id tag and free collar.
- Cost - Most cats are $95. Dog adoption fees generally range from $200-$500 for dogs based on desirability/adoptability (hypoallergenic, popularity of breed, etc.). Most dogs are $350.
You'll find these fees to be higher than what you'd pay at an animal shelter. We get many of our animals from shelters, who make them available to rescues if they need medical treatment for which the shelters won't pay, or if they aren't doing well there. We take these animals and use the extra money we make from adopting out the highly desirable breeds to treat the less fortunate dogs. We charge as much as we can, frankly, because the more we bring in for a particularly popular animal, the more we can help animals in greater need.
When you adopt a pet from STAR, you are not only rescuing your new family member, but one or more other needy animals who will receive
treatment and a loving home because of your adoption.